Monday, January 22, 2007

Monday, January 22 (lunes, 22 de enero)

Serie Final - Dominican Baseball Playoffs
Aguilas de Cibaenas won game 3 of the series final 6-0 over los Tigres del Licey last night. Las Aguilas lead the best 5 out of 9 series 2 games to 1. Game 4 will begin at 7:30 this evening in Santo Domingo. Game 5 will be played tomorrow night in Santiago and then the the two teams will take a night off. Go Aguilas!

Favorite Colmado ... Zoilo, located up the street from Hamburger Paradise.

Best Supermercado ... Super Playera, on the main highway.

Tips To Protect Yourself ... I have spent most of the past two years in Sosua and have learned a lot about surviving here. I do not know all the tricks, but I know most of them by now. Many of them I have learned by being taken advantage of.

Keep in mind that despite how much you love Sosua, it attracts the worst of of the worse and really is not very typical of the Dominican Republic. There are many more fine people in Sosua than crooks and thiefs, but nevertheless there are many who feel that the gringo is to be taken advantage of here.

I thought it might be helpful if I add two or three things I have learned about living here. Some are very important and can save you lots of money and some are not so big and more than anything else can prevent you from being taken advantage of.

1. Never carry any more money on you than you are prepared to lose. Most of us who live here have been pickpocketed. Some of the whores here are excellent pickpockets. My first night in-country I lost $6000 pesos. It has never happened again. Be especially careful around the discos late at night. If a girl approaches you and touches your genitals, she has a partner behind you who is in your pocket while your attention is diverted. I carry very little with me on the streets and it is in a money clip in my front pocket. When I find myself around a crowd of puta's, I reach into my pocket and hold the money in my hand. If someone touches my genitals I get very loud and aggressive in telling them to keep their hands to themselves.

2. Only use the ATM's during regular banking hours. ATM fraud is prevalant here. The banks are open during the week all day and on Saturday morning. Plan ahead and make sure you have enough money so that you do not need the ATM late at night or from Saturday noon until Monday morning.

3. This is a small thing, but is very irritating to me. When you are sitting in a bar or at a restaurant, keep your cigarettes (if you smoke), your cell phone and your keys in your pocket. These whores will walk up to your table and ask for a cigarette. It may not seem like a big thing to you, but after you give away 50 cigarettes over a couple of months it gets old. The main problem I have though is that they have absolutely no manners when it comes to invading your privacy in a bar or restaurant and they love doing anything to take advantage of the gringo. Remember most of these women make a lot of money and can afford to buy their own damn cigarettes. If one of them asks me, I immediately say NO. I love seeing the look on their face. They usually act insulted like I have done something wrong.

I also have had them walk up and pick up my drink and help themselves. They also are not above stealing your cell phone or asking you to use it because they have no minutes on theirs. Most of them have conned the gringos into buying them numerous phones which they immediately hock at one of the local compra-ventas (pawn shops).

Don't give them an inch and don't give them a dime unless they earn it.

Today's Pictures ... Some flowers, bushes, and trees I have walked by recently.






Words For The Day ... A to Z (with a few left out)

Anillo ... Ring
Blanco ... White
Cama ... Bed
Desayuno ... Breakfast
Embarazada ... Pregnant
Feo ... Ugly
Gorro ... Cap
Helado ... Ice Cream
Izquierda ... Left
Jueves ... Thursday
Labio ... Lip
Llave ... Key
Mantequilla ... Butter
Nariz ... Nose
Oscuro ... Dark
Pan ... Bread
Queso ... Cheese
Rojo ... Red
Sangre ... Blood
Tenedor ... Fork
Uva ... Grape
Vaso ... Glass
Zapato ... Shoe

Life Is Good When It Isn't Raining All The Time ... Mas Luego

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home